Photo Credit: LeeAnn Sherman walking in May 2019 Graduation Ceremony on Campus at Central Christian College of Kansas. Photo by Aaron Lindberg Photography.
Student Testimonial - LeeAnn Sherman
Introduction to LeeAnn: Bachelor of Science in Business (Organizational Leadership and Psychology)
- Completion date was 11/11/2018. Disclaimer: LeeAnn is an employee at a CCCK partner company
- Your Educational background
- I had previously attended Loyola University Chicago but struggling with the financial demands that the school presented and always had a hard time attending the classroom sessions after work.
- Your future career goals and how will a degree from CCCK help you to achieve them?
- Having completed my undergraduate degree in Business at CCCK allowed doors to open for me at my current place of employment.
- Shortly after graduating with a 3.99 GPA, I was promoted into the Marketing Communications department where I am now in charge of our global brand positioning and our communication initiatives. Completing my degree helped me launch my career in the direction that I had always desired.
- Tell us what attracted you to this program. How did you know CCCK’s program was the right fit for you?
- I was initially attracted to CCCK’s organizational leadership program due to the line-up of interesting classes. Once I started attending their online classes, I quickly realized my passion for academic writing as well as producing research papers that broadened my scope of knowledge.
- How did your educational experience at CCCK match the expectations you had when first starting the program?
- At first, my reaction to going back to school came from a place of fear. Albeit, once I got comfortable within the program, I was put to ease by the nurturing approach from the professors which was my favorite element of going through the program. My experience with CCCK was ultimately better than I had hoped for which in turn made the experience amazing!
- How were you able to balance a full-time work schedule, coursework and personal obligations while you were a student in the program?
- Great question!!! I was very nervous to take on more in life. As a single mother, home owner, and full-time employee I was not sure how I was going to juggle school work. My determination took over and I made it happen. I used to make my morning coffee and kick out a little bit of work before starting my day (like a discussion post).
- I would use my week night evenings to relax with my family and enjoy big dinners and occasional movies. Then, I would wake up early on the weekends and crank out the work I felt most proud of – the papers I was able to draft up alongside topics that were fascinating to me – psychology, theology, conflict management, and communications.
- These topics applied to everyday life, therefore, helped expend my knowledge and broadened my current skillset. I could even go so far as to say that school work became my ‘escape’ from chores and every day frustrations as I would get lost in my work and on many occasions thoroughly enjoyed doing just that.
- My kids say, “That’s what makes you nerdy Mom.” NERDY? I’LL TAKE IT! Setting a nerdy example to my children by applying myself to schoolwork might have been the best example to set for my family.
- What was your experience with the coursework and assignments?
- I enjoyed writing papers. I have never been a good test-taker, but I gained some confidence through the program on ‘how to’ take a test and produced better results.
- How have you been able to integrate learnings from the program into your current job? What are some examples?
- Well, this is certainly the best question to ask! I have used every aspect of my integrated learnings from CCCK with my current job. The biggest take-away was that I really learned how to write well and with that comes confidence in writing, developing power point presentations, and articulating my thoughts in a group setting. CCCK highlights the importance of proper APA style writing (which is applicable to most universities).
- Now that I am in graduate school, I took note that most students do not know how to write well, which just reminded me of how thankful I was that CCCK provided me with the platform to produce perfect APA writing skills so that I can quickly and efficiently generate scholarly papers with limited grammatical or formatting errors.
- So now, I tend to be the team lead on most projects because the other students enjoy my style of writing. Being able to write is a gift and one that is valuable in daily life – at work or in our personal endeavors.
- Tell us about your experience with the program faculty. Which one stands out the most to you?
- The faculty truly cares about their students in an authentic and loving way. That in turn helps develop the student further as they reach their capacity through evolving into a mature pupil.
- Did having a smaller class sizes make you feel like you received more individual attention from faculty?
- I received hands-on faculty assistance from most professors and am still friends with some of them who ironically became mentors to me. Becoming a mentor to your students encapsulates the nurturing characteristics of CCCK and their program faculty.
- Did you find the faculty to be accessible, responsive, supportive and professional?
- Yes, not only were they supportive, they were like family during my time studying at CCCK.
- How did working with a dedicated student support advisor impact your educational experience?
- My student support advisor was great at helping me navigate classes and even when I decided to double up on courses. She laid out the perfect program for me and matched classes up perfectly.
- What surprised you the most during your time as an online CCCK student?
- Watching my own evolution as a writer. I still love to write – can you tell :)
- Would you recommend CCCK Online to others interested in furthering their careers with higher education?
- What advice do you have for potential students considering enrolling in the program?
- Do not be fearful, just move forward and be amazed at what you will produce! In turn, your confidence will skyrocket and that is critical in the workforce and in life.